Most people consume salad with the aim of losing weight. Wrong! This common misconception about salad needs to be cleared. Salads are not restricted to dieters only, but anyone who wishes to switch to a healthier lifestyle can consume this nutrient rich food. The best salads are packed with nutrients, as well as calories and fat.
Since the salad ideas on the internet are not as fulfilling as the other foods, people eat more to satisfy their hunger. This is a major contribution to weight gain. However, a properly proportioned salad can go a long way when it comes to satisfying hunger and switching to a healthier diet.
Using the right salad recipes which contain ingredients filled with nutrients, as well as flavor can benefit one greatly. Let us look at some tips you can use to create the best healthy salads.
Picking the Right Greens
If you really want to make healthy salads, picking the right greens is extremely necessary. Choose the right salad base, one which is rich in nutrients but not calories. Do not make the mistake of using potatoes or pasta as a base because they are high in calories. Pick beans instead since they have a higher protein content.
A green salad made with leafy crunchy green vegetables can add both crunch and flavor to your salad. Here are some green veggies to choose from:
- Spring greens: spinach, arugula, mustard greens, and beet greens. These are not only soft, but also quite flavorful.
- Low calorie greens: romaine, iceberg, endive, escarole, radicchio, and leaf lettuce are crunchy and low-calorie greens that you can add to your salad.
The Best Colorful Salad Veggies
Healthy salads are mostly made from vegetables. Ingredients for healthy vegetables include not only greens, but also colored vegetables which can benefit you hugely. If you really want that overpowering boost of flavor it is a good idea to add raw or even roasted vegetables to your salad. We have listed vegetables by color below:
- Red: radishes, tomatoes, beets, red potato, red onions, and red peppers.
- Yellow/ White: onion, corn kernels, mushrooms, yellow beets, asparagus, cauliflower.
- Orange: carrots, orange peppers, orange tomato, sweet potato.
- Blue/ purple: purple potatoes, purple cabbage, and eggplant.
Selecting Healthy Fats
The best salad recipes contain healthy fat. Although the addition of fat to your salad will increase its calories, it is necessary to satisfy your hunger. Some of the best fat sources that you can add to your salad are listed below:
- Olive oil
- Nuts: walnuts, pine nuts, almonds
- Seeds: chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
The Addition of Protein
For those who are working out in addition to consuming just salad, as part of their healthy routine, it is important to add protein to your recipe. You can add meat for example grilled chicken, or seafood such as tuna or shrimps to add the protein to your salad.
It is necessary to use the right salad ingredients which satisfy your cravings but are also not too high in calories if you want to maintain a healthy routine.